Fabulous Fall Books!
In the spirit of fall, I thought I would put together a list of some fun, fall-themed books for the classroom. They can be used for class read-aloud, for students to take home and share with their parents, or you can set-up a special fall-themed space in the classroom library. Introducing fall themed books into the classroom environment will help the students to be cognizant of the different times of year, and also help them appreciate the fall season. (If you teach older students, don’t be afraid to read them picture books. Even in college I enjoyed when my professors read us picture books.)
- There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Leaves by Lucille Colandro- Another classic from the There Was an Old Lady series who in spends this book swallowing fall items. Ages 4-8
- Leaf Trouble by Jonathon Emmett- A little squirrel is baffled by the changing leaves in fall and works to find out why all the leaves are changing. Ages 4-8
- Let It Fall by Maryann Cocca-Leffler- This book covers all the common fall activities such as playing in leaves, apple picking, hayrides and more! Ages 3-5
- 10 Fat Turkeys by Tony Johnston- Ten turkeys all performing silly tricks and dropping out of the story one by one. A classic subtraction from ten book. Ages 2-5
- It’s Fall by Linda Glaser- A little boy explains what happens to animals, plants, and people during autumn. The book also includes a list of fall activities. Ages 4-6
- The Apple Pie That Papa Baked by Lauren Thompson- The story of how a little girl helps her Papa make a pie that goes step by step in reverse order. This book has wonderful illustrations and shows students a process from beginning to end. Ages 5-8
- We’re Going on a Leaf Hunt by Steve Metzger- A fall version of the popular book/song We're Going on a Bear Hunt. Students will love the familiarity of the song and enjoy the different lyrics. Ages 4-6
- Acorns Everywhere by Kevin Sherry- A fun story with lots of laughs about a squirrel collecting his acorns during the fall. Ages 4-7
- Leaf Man by Lois Elhert- A fall classic about a leaf man and where the fall winds take him. Ages 4-8
- Fall Mixed Up by Bob Raczka- A book full of fall mix-ups. Can your students spot all the mix ups in this book? Ages 4-8
There are so many great books out there about autumn, but these are some of my picks! Introducing them into your classroom will help both you and your students to appreciate the beauty of fall. Remember, winter is right around the corner!
Photo Courtesy of Flickr Creative Commons.
About Hannah T
I am a 2010 graduate with a degree and certification in Elementary Ed., and I have worked with students from birth to junior high. I believe that one of the most important qualities to surviving a teaching career is a sense of humor. I also strongly feel that students are most successful when they are active and hands-on learners. My Mom was a Special Ed. teacher for almost 30 years, and my Dad was an English major, so I enjoy bouncing blog ideas off the two of them. This usually results in an exchange of great stories with my Mom, and a correction in my writing from my Dad. When they're not available, the job falls to my rescue dog, Coozie.